It was 25 years ago today that Columbia, Missouri awoke to find that the Shack, a beloved campus hangout since the 1930s, had burned to the ground in a mysterious fire on Halloween night.
Jack Armel leased the building from the Davis family in 1932 and changed its name to “Jack’s Shack”. In 1936 it was purchased by Vern and Mary Blakemore, who shortened the restaurant’s name to “The Shack” in 1939. As the business grew, the owners simply built around the existing structure of the touring car, thus giving the Shack its distinctive character. The Shack was known for its low ceilings, dark interior, piecemeal construction, and leaky roof. However, none of these prevented it from becoming a beloved hangout for generations of MU graduates.
Authored by Sarah Horne, PhD Student in Art History and Archaeology
To learn more about the Shack: